Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Decision for Anonymity

I made the decision to publish my book under a pseudonym, although I have always dreamed of seeing my name printed on a book cover and on the shelves next to the likes of Stephen King. The reason is due to the controversial nature of certain subject matter in the book. This may seem a cowardly decision--it did to me initially. These are the reasons that eventually swayed me in this direction.
First and foremost, my family.
My parents are in their elder years and my father isn't in the best of health. They don't need to be plagued by questions about what their lunatic daughter was thinking.
My brother doesn't need to be plagued by questions about whether the lunatic that wrote this book is his sister.
My son deserves to have a life that isn't overshadowed by his mother's controversial decision.
The fragile part of my psyche deserves to be protected.
Since I may well have to work a real job for the rest of my life, I want to be treated as normally as possible by my co-workers.
When I am older I may make the decision to let my real name be known.
Until then, look for a forthcoming book by one Lily Strange.

4 comments:

Hobbes said...

Will do.

Anonymous said...

You can borrow my name

Cie Cheesemeister said...

Thanks, Dusty, but owing to the subject matter, I don't think it would work.

Amanda said...

I perfectly understand. I'd do the same.