Monday, December 01, 2008

Writers that Kick My Ass

Just in case you think all I do is complain about the purple prose of million-selling authors who are way, way richer than I am (and yet manage to make me look talented) I want to take a moment to speak the praises of fout select authors who flat-out kick my ass. I could never in a million years write like these people.
This is certainly not an all-inclusive list, just five that I'm thinking of at this moment.

1. Stephen King
There are many reasons why he's one of my biggest influences. His "folksy" style of writing draws the reader to their doom and leaves them begging for more.

2. J.K. Rowling
A woman who really deserves every bit of her success. Harry Potter is a new classic that will be read by generations to come.

3. Khaled Hosseini
Completely different genre than what I write. He writes circles around me any day of the year.

4. Cormac McCarthy
No flowery prose here, yet every scene comes to life effortlessly.

And there you have four living authors at whose feet I would gladly bow and say "I'm not worthy! I'm scum!"

1 comment:

Sara said...

I agree...great authors. They are born to do it!